This intervention model (from U of U Reading Clinic) is designed for readers who are reading at early grade 3 level and above. It addresses the last major developmental transition in the reading process and provides students with assisted reading at instructional level, advanced phonics/spelling and fluency work. This more advanced model emphasizes oral reading rate and prosody - two aspects of fluency that likely influence comprehension, and explicit instruction in how to use the syllable structure of written English to decode unfamiliar multi-syllabic words successfully.
Word Bank (1 min)
- Flash presentation of difficult high frequency words (e.g., through, thought, though).
Fluency Work (5 mins)
- Conduct trials 3 & 4 of last session's repeated readings text (200 - 350 words).
- Graph correct # of words read and errors on repeated reading chart.
- For repeated readings, use text the student has read recently on his/her instructional level. Conduct 2 two-minute timings.
Assisted Reading of New Text on Instructional Level (20-22 mins) -Most texts require many lessons to complete. After 5 or so sessions, a tutor may choose another book at the appropriate level. I.e., it is not necessary to finish a book.)
- Tutor introduces book with a short preview (build/activate background knowledge, point out difficult vocabulary, review previous day's reading when appropriate).
- Echo and/or partner read when necessary (student shows signs of fatigue: yawning, wiggling, sudden increase in errors).
- FOCUS ON COMPREHENSION! Tutor frequently asks student to answer who-what-when-where-why type questions, to confirm prior predictions, to retell, and/or to summarize.
Word Study (7-8 mins)
- Tutor begins with Module 1 (closed syllable) of Advanced Word Study.
- Tutor chooses 4 words from module for spelling. Tutor dictates words; student spells aloud while writing. Then scoops & reads. Student "marks up" each word.
Fluency Reading(7-8 mins)
- Student may read from an independent level text, or reread a previously read text or do repeated readings.
- When using independent level text, tutor conducts a quick preview to build/activate student's background knowledge.
- For rereads or repeated readings, no preview is needed.
- For repeated readings, use text the student has read recently on his/her instructional level. Do 2, two-minute timings a session. Do four timings per each text selected.
Fluency Work (5 mins)
- Conduct trials 1 & 2 from today's assisted reading (200 - 350 words).
- Graph correct # of words read and errors on repeated reading chart. For repeated readings, use text the student has read recently on his/her instructional level. Conduct 2 two-minute timings.
Please click on the links below to see the components involved in each lesson: