I grew up in a family of teachers! My father was a professor at Weber State University. My mother was a guidance counselor in Weber School District. My sister taught 4th grade in the district too. There really wasn’t a big decision for me to make about being a teacher. Guess what? I married a teacher! My husband, Mark, and I started our teaching careers in the Weber County School District. I taught second and third grades. By the way, my brother is an attorney and from time to time he teaches law classes.
After my first son was born in Ogden, I decided I wanted to be a stay-at-home mom. Five more children followed, so it took me fifteen years to begin teaching again. In the meantime, we moved to Cedar City. My first step back into education occurred when I became the PTA president at South Elementary. After a busy, but wonderful year of volunteer work, I decided to apply for a teaching position in the district. I also applied for a job at Southern Utah University. It turned out that I was offered a job at Southern Utah University as the Director of the Reading Clinic and the Annual Reading Conference. This work transitioned into teaching. I became an assistant professor of elementary education. After 19 years of great experiences teaching pre-service teachers, I decided to apply for a reading specialist position in Iron County.
I have completed three years in the district. My first year was a split contract between Enoch and Fiddlers Elementary. The next two years were full time at Fiddlers Elementary. And now, I am pleased to be the reading specialist at South Elementary.
A few fun facts:
- I have six children and sixteen grandchildren!
- My favorite color is yellow.
- I love books, especially children’s literature.
- My hobbies are hiking, reading and gardening.
- I have a new dog named Gracie Bea.
- B.S. Weber State University (Minors in reading, math and special education)
- M.Ed. Utah State University
- Level I and II Reading Endorsements
- Currently, I am working on a Gifted and Talented Endorsement
- Early Steps, Early Steps Quads, Next Steps and Higher Steps (currently be trained)
- USOE STAR Tutoring, Advanced STAR and Cross-age STAR